I enjoy making grown up versions of sweets…….recently I ran across a recipe for Liquor Lollipops on Pinterest and I decided to give it a go.
The candy recipe that I used came from “Hostess with the Mostess”
- 1/4 cup liquor plus 1 tsp hard liquor (I used Grape Vodka for a batch and Strawberry Rum for another)
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp Karo syrup
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp food coloring (optional)
Prepping for the finished product is very important because it dries FAST. I did not have any molds so I found a GREAT solution to this at “Kingaurthurflour.com”. To make instant candy molds all you need is powered sugar and a baking sheet.
Spread a thick layer of powdered sugar on a baking sheet and press the shape that you want into the sugar (be careful not to leave any spots leaving the baking sheet exposed).
I used the top of the liquor bottle……..
After the molds were complete I placed the sticks in the sugar………
Then it was time to make the candy.
- Mix everything (except the 1 tsp hard liquor and food coloring) in a small sauce pan until the sugar is completely wet.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat and mix occasionally until the sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved then boil to 300 degrees F (You WILL need a candy thermometer for this)
- While you are waiting for the mixture to reach 300 degrees mix the 1 tsp liquor and your choice of food coloring in a small container.
- After the mixture reaches 300 degrees F remove from heat and carefully mix in the food coloring mixture (be careful as the mixture will pop and fizzle).
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the molds one at a time (work careful but fast as the mixture will harden pretty quickly).
Allow the molds to sit a few hours or overnight…….
After mine were complete I dusted the other side of the Lollypop with powdered sugar (ate a few) then wrapped the left over ones individually with plastic wrap and twist ties…….
These guys ended up in a housewarming gift for my friend…….
And of course the last thing is to enjoy………
I personally enjoyed the grape vodka lollies the best…..but I was told that the strawberry ones were also a-ok!