Well Thanksgiving has come to an end and now it is time for the month long celebration of Christmas in our house.
One of my favorite things as a kid was the countdown to Christmas…….
Over the past few years we have filled our advent calendar with candies for the kids which is pretty much sugar overkill. With all of the cookies, cakes and candies of the holidays we really don’t need another opportunity to fill the kiddos with sugar daily.
This year I am going to try something a little different and I am hoping it turns into a new tradition for our family.
I decided to fill the advent calendar with family activities. There were 2 things that I had to take into consideration when coming up with activities:
- 95% of the activities could not be too time consuming. December is crazy busy and I wanted to make sure that it would be easy to fit the activity into our schedule.
- The activities had to be something that would keep the kids interested (If the kids are not buying it then it isn’t going to happen)
It took me most of the day to think of 24 different activities but I did it!! Luckily we had a few things already planned that fit right into this project.
Here is the list that took me all day to create……
- Make Hot Chocolate…..LOTS of marshmallows
- Play Ball with Sookie (the family dog)
- Turn up the music and dance, dance, dance!!!
- Sing Christopher (our elf) a Christmas song
- Anna (my 6-year-old) reads a book to the family
- See mom for a special treat (I have a small toy for the kids)
- Play the hot and cold game
- Christmas Movie Night, Evan’s choice (my 2-year-old)
- Family after dinner walk!!!
- Family Hug!!! Everyone gets hugs even pets!!!
- Mommy reads a book to the family
- Zoo Lights!!! (this will be our annual trip to the Zoo Christmas lights)
- Make Cookies!!! (another already planned activity with my mom and my sister)
- Write a letter or draw a picture and give to someone special
- Play a game (Anna’s choice)
- See dad for a special treat (another small toy)
- Make something special for the tree
- Daddy reads a book to the family
- Christmas Movie Night, Anna’s choice
- Pancakes for dinner!!!
- Play with Lilo (the family cat)
- Christmas Movie Night, Mom and Dad’s choice
- Scavenger Hunt!!! (I have a small scavenger hunt planned in the house with a small prize at the end.)
- Leave treats out for Santa
I put all of the activities on scraps of paper:
I stuffed the papers into the advent calendar. I was careful to put the planned activities in the right dates and the less time consuming stuff on busy days.
The advent calendar is all ready to be hung on the wall:
Things get so busy around this time of year and we get so caught up in all of the busy work that we miss out on quality time together. The kids are growing up so fast and I really want to make sure we treasure this time with them. I know eventually they are going to be too cool for family hugs and family dance parties so we are going to live it up while we can!!
I am really excited to start this on Monday!!